ReadySetWork 2.0 is the second edition of the entrepreneurship and employability capacity building programme of the Lagos State Ministry of Education.
Why ReadySetWork Project?
The youth of any country unarguably constitute the true wealth and future of that nation. They possess the ability to contribute needed manpower cum entrepreneurial resources for national productivity, if given appropriate education.
However, it is observed that fresh graduates from our tertiary institution lack some fundamental skills required for the world of work – entrepreneurship and employability skills. This results in their inability to transit smoothly into full-time self or paid employment soon after graduation.
ReadySetwork (RSW) is a response to this scourge of unemployability and unemployment. The project is a complementary capacity building programme of the Lagos State Government for final year students of tertiary institutions leveraging on available technology, private-sector driven and facilitated curriculum to equip participants so as to be fit for the world of work and therefore able to create jobs for themselves or gain easy access to gainful employment soon after graduation.
- It complements entirely the current teaching and training in order to build needed capacity of participants to either generate employment for self and/or become employable by employers
- Private sector led curriculum and content development in consonance with the current dictates of the Nigerian labour market
- Facilitation of practical skill training by industry professionals armed with best practice
- Highly interactive nature of the training that guarantees better learning outcomes
- Improved trainer to student ratio
- Availability of internship and mentorship opportunities for at least 50% of participants who completed the training
- Significant buy-in from corporate Nigeria through technical, financial, manpower as well as internship and mentorship supports.
- High attendance and participation requirement
- Issuance of certificate of completion
This second edition is targeted at final and penultimate year students in Lagos State owned tertiary institutions (LASU, LASPOTECH, LASCOHET, MOCPED, AOCOED) and the newly included UNILAG. The programme is aimed at dealing with the twin problem of graduate unemployability and unemployment.
- To build the capacity of final year students of participating institutions with entrepreneurship and work readiness skills so they can smoothly access the world of work either as entrepreneurs or employees soon after graduation.
- Improve the attitudes and work-orientation of students toward the world of work
- Place qualifying students in apprenticeships for further training
- Improve capacity of participating institutions to deliver employability programs
- To groom penultimate year students in foundational skills that will enable them access the programme in their final year.
Every student who graduates from a tertiary institution located in Lagos State will possess the knowledge, skills and attitude required to be self-employed or become a value adding employee.
The targets for this project are final and penultimate year students of:
- Lagos State University
- Lagos State Polytechnic
- Lagos State College of Health Technology
- AdeniranOgunsanya College of Education
- Micheal Otedola College of Education
- University of Lagos
Number of Trainees
The programme will be opened to 2,000 final year students from participatory institutions using the face-to-face method of learning and 10,000 penultimate year students from participatory institutions utilizing the on-line method of learning.
The capacity building programme is a thirteen (13) weeks (Saturday only) project administered during the Second Semester to final and penultimate year students of participating institutions. It is scheduled to kick-off on Saturday 1st July, 2017 and end on 23rd September, 2017.
It consists of the following:
- General Module
- Combined Entrepreneurship and Employability module
- Teachers track purely for participants from AOCOED & MOCPED
- Penultimate year module (RSW Online Academy)
Final year students desirous of enhancing their skills in preparation for the world of work, should go to the ReadySetWork website, carefully fill and submit the application form providing all required information and documents.
Penultimate year students desirous of meeting the eligibility criteria for ReadySetWork in their final year should go to the ReadySetWork website, carefully fill and submit the application form providing all required information and documents.
Incomplete applications will not be considered for screening
Final Year: All final year students from participating institutions are eligible to apply online within the time allotted. All submitted applications will be subjected to proper screening and thereafter successful candidates will be duly informed and their acceptance obtained prior to the programme take-off.
Penultimate Year: All penultimate year students from participating institutions are eligible to apply online for the penultimate year training within the time allotted. All received applications will be duly screened and thereafter successful candidates will be informed. Only candidates who have accepted the offer will be admitted into the programme.
Some of our corporate partners include:
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
- FCMB Plc
- SystemSpecs Limited
- Access Bank Plc
- Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF)
- Stutern by Jobberman
- Fidelity Bank
- Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC)
OPPORTUNITIES FOR INTERNSHIPS & START UP GRANTS
On completion of the tutelage, out-standing participants will have the opportunity to earn internship placement at top blue-chip organizations in the State or win seed funding for successful pitches of their business plans.
RSW 2017: SUMMARY
|2,000 Final Year Students
10,000 Students in their penultimate year
|3 Campuses (LASU, LASPOTECH and UNILAG)|
|13 weeks of face-to-face courses
13 weeks of RSW Academy Online – available to students in their penultimate year; will serve as a prerequisite for participation in their final year
|Participation – Lagos State University (LASU), Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH), Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, College of Health Technology, Michael Otedola College of Education, University of Lagos (Unilag)|
|Internship Fair for 12,000 students|
|500 – 750 internship/apprenticeship placement slots|
|Start Date||July 1st – September 23rd|
|Sensitization||June 12th (LASU-10am, AOCOED-2pm)
June 13th (LASCOHET-10am, UNILAG-2pm)
June 15th (LASPOTECH-10am, MOCPED-2pm)
|Press Conference||June 15th|
|Portal Opens for Registration||June 16th (Closes June 24th)|
|Train the Trainers||June 24th|
|Graduation Date||September 28th|